Monday, December 27, 2010

Catching Up

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas and has an easy week ahead of them. This Christmas was busy for us, but went a little smoother than last year. I think we are finally figuring out what works for us and for everyone else.

I woke up early (6:30) on Friday morning and went and worked out and from there my day just flew by me. I feel like I blinked and suddenly it was time to make the drive to my parents. But let me back up a little. I worked out and then came home and started cleaning. Since Sean was still in bed I did all of the dusting and wiping down of counter tops, etc, while he slept. Then I gathered my list and went to HEB. I do not recommend that anyone brave HEB on Christmas Eve - it isn't pleasant.

After HEB I ran across the street to Randall's (much calmer there) and picked up a few things before braving Starbucks for a non-fat gingerbread latte for me and a caramel brulee (sp?) latte for Sean. As soon as I got home I turned up the Christmas music and started baking ginger crisps and oatmeal cranberry cookies. While each set of cookies was baking I vacuumed a different room and Sean painted our entryway (pictures to come, I just haven't had time yet!). It looks amazing, it really does. The paint looks perfect, it's better then I could have envisioned.

We showered, got dressed and then opened our stockings from each other. Sean got me a jupiter jack for my phone so that I can talk through my radio in my truck - I don't have bluetooth in my car, so he thought I needed some form of it... He also got me a Fossil watch that I adore but I can't find a picture of it online to show you, so that will have to wait until I take a picture of it :)

In his stocking he got new boxers and a new travel coffee mug (he needed on badly). Then I let him open his gift from the kitties early too, and "they" surprised him with these:


He was THRILLED to say the least. A few weeks ago I came home with these:



I really haven't taken them off since I bought them, they are so darn comfortable! And when Sean saw them he immediately wanted new slippers as well. So I immediately went out and bought them :)

Then we packed up and headed over to my parents house for Christmas Eve. Naturally, as soon as we headed out it started raining, so the drive went from a 30 minute drive to a 45 minute drive in no time. But we made it!

We went to the Christmas Eve candlelight service - which is always my favorite - and I had one of the coolest experiences I've ever felt in my life, and I just have to share it. As we were sitting there and the preacher was talking about really asking God for what it is you need in life - be it hope or light or whatever you need, I was thinking about what I need and praying as hard as I could about what I needed and I felt as though someone just wrapped their arms around me and hugged me r-e-a-l tight. I almost started crying and I'd be lying if I said I didn't tear up, but it was the most comforting feeling in the world. I know that everything is going to work out the way its meant to, and I've never doubted that, but sometimes its nice to have a little extra reassurance.

After the service we went back to my parents to open gifts, load up, and make the drive back home. Once home, Sean and I had our own Christmas - which was so special to me. It was our first Christmas in our house (technically, we had the house last Christmas but we weren't really in it yet) and our first Christmas being married. We lit a fire, and unwrapped our gifts from each other. All in all - perfect.

The next morning, I woke up really early to go for a nice Christmas morning run :) and then came home and made coffee, showered, woke Sean up and we packed up again - this time to head to his parents house.

Once we got there it was mayhem - but the best kind. There was coffee and presents, laughter and pictures, and really everything you imagine Christmas morning should be like. It was warm. It was family. It was good.

We then headed over to his grandmothers house for Christmas with my MIL's side of the family. Going over there makes me sad that my whole family isn't here in Houston - her brother and sisters all live close by so everyone gets together and its loud and noisy and fantastic. We did a gift exchange, at lunch, and then Sean and I packed up one last time and headed home.

Once home we went into overdrive, cleaning and cooking, and soon it was 5pm and both of our parents were showing up for dinner. This was probably my second favorite part of Christmas (my first favorite was when Sean and I had our own personal Christmas :)). We drank wine and snacked on all the goodies I put out, and then sat down to a big family dinner.

As soon as everyone left, I washed and dried the dishes while Sean moved all of our gifts into our room and then some friends came over...

It was perfect, and everything I ever want out of Christmas. Lots of family and friends, there's not much more I could ask for!

I hope everyone had as blessed a Christmas as I did.

xoxo

Rache

No comments:

Post a Comment