I mentioned earlier this week that there would be a giveaway on Friday and guessss what! It's Friday! What better way to kick off a holiday weekend then with a little giveaway, right?!
A couple weeks ago the lovely folks over at Gotein contacted me and asked if I'd be interested in doing a review and giveaway of their products. I'm not one to turn down free stuff, and I love you guys, so it's a win-win...
What It Is:
Gotein is a portable protein supplement that comes in a powdered form that you can easily add to water for a post-workout protein drink or just for a to-go protein shake.
Why It's Good:
I don't know how you are about getting enough protein post-workouts, but I can tell you three things about me:
1. I used to be terrible about taking in protein after hard workouts (I'm much better now, by the way)
2. I prefer to eat my calories vs. drink them. I am a volume person and food really does it for me. That's not to say I can't be swayed though because...
3. I am obsessed with Honey Milk. Seriously, it's a problem. Their light coffee flavor is ah-mazing.
Which brings me to Gotein. I was 100% skeptical about this. I've used powdered drink mixes before with moderate success, but I'm really picky about that kind of stuff.
And I'll tell you right now, I've only tried 2 of the 3 flavors.
Chocolate: 16g protein, 6g carbs, 24 vitamins and minerals, 110 calories
Vanilla: 17g protein, 5g carbs, 24 vitamins and minerals, 100 calories, gluten-free
Strawberry: 17g protein, 6g carbs, 24 vitamins and minerals, 110 calories, gluten-free
Not too shabby, eh?
Day One: Chocolate
I added it to my water and I shoooooooook it up. Still a little grainy so I shoooooook some more.
It was OK. Not wonderful, not horrible.
I'm 100% sure that I should have taken more water out because it had a slightly watered down taste to it. I drank it all though, if that tells you anything.
Day Two: Strawberry
Now would be a good time to mention that I hate strawberry flavored things. I'm not even positive that I've ever had strawberry milk but the thought of it grosses me out. And I have convinced myself that this strawberry protein mix is going to turn into strawberry milk (don't try to make any sense out of it, it doesn't make any).
So I improvised.
And made a smoothie! And it was wonderful! And pretty! And honestly - I wasn't hungry again until lunch and if you know me at all, you know that I eat all.day.long. So not having my 11am snack is weird for me.
I saved the vanilla one because I adore vanilla flavored drinks and I want to try it after my long run.
What I Liked:
- I love anything portable because I am almost always on the go
- I always have a bottle of water with me, so being able to add in 100 calories worth of protein is a win
- There wasn't the chalky, powdery taste that some protein supplements have
- The stats on them are pretty good for a protein shake
What I Didn't Like:
- They're pretty pricey
- There's only 2 stores in Texas where you can buy them. You can find a list of locations to buy in store here and you can buy them online here
Where You Come In
Gotein gave me extras to give away to one lucky blog reader! You will get one of each flavor :) Cat not included. He just wouldn't get out of the way.
What Ya Gotta Do
There's always a catch, right? Of course. There's 6 different ways you can win. Leave me a separate comment for each one and Random.org will decide who wins. Easy-easy.
- Like Gotein on Facebook and tell them I sent you!
- Blog about the giveaway
- Tweet about the giveaway (You know... @HappyHealthyRun is giving away Gotein!... Or something lame like that. Be more creative than me)
- Be a follower of this blog
- Let me know if you're good, bad or indifferent when it comes to getting your protein
- Tell me your favorite way to get protein
I'll announce the winner next Friday so you have a good solid week to get in. Enjoy your weekend!