Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 4 - Your parents

WOOHOO! What an AWESOME thing to post about!

My parents are phenomenal. There's really not enough words to express how highly I think of them.

I've said it before, but I am so blessed to have the parents I have and to have grown up the way I grew up. I think I'm in the vast minority of people that never really 'falling outs' with my parents growing up. We had our disagreements here and there (usually having to do with boys) but for the most part, I can't ever remember 'hating' my parents or anything of the sort. On the contrary, I've always really looked up to both of them.

I can honestly say that maybe I was a little spoiled growing up, but all of my being spoiled was balanced out. I got the car that I wanted when I turned 16, but I had stipulations on it - i.e. I had a $10,000 limit, they wanted me to get a Saturn, and I had to have a job because I had to pay my own gas and insurance. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I started working immediately after turning 16 and I have been a working machine ever since.

My mom is my best friend. She is just amazing. I was telling my dear friend Tosha this weekend how I don't know what it was she did while I was growing up for me to be so in awe of her all the time, but I hope that I am able to have the same relationship with my daughter (God willing that I have a daughter!). She really is my idol though. My mom didn't work the whole time my little brother and I were growing up and I think that plays a big part in why we all our so close. My dad owns his own business and we never had a lot of money growing up, but we had enough. My mom clipped coupons, shopped clearance, and made it possible for us to never want anything.

Today, I spend my Sunday's clipping coupons, I always shop clearance (if it's not 50% off I just don't feel right buying it most of the time) and I hope and pray that I set a shining example for my kids like she did/has.

My dad is one of a kind. He's talkative, he's opinionated, and he's AMAZING. My dad and I could talk for hours about anything and everything. I've never really hid much from him or my mom. He has the ability to break me down to tears, but only when he's passionate about what he's talking about. I hate him during the conversations and at the end of it when I'm reflecting back on things I realize that once again he's right and I'm just being stubborn (like him) and not wanting to admit it.

When I would get in trouble for doing what ever rebellious thing I was doing (like getting my belly button pierced when I was 16 at some shoddy place in Conroe after they specifically told me not to) he would lecture me about it, I'd cry my eyes out, he'd lecture me about crying and then he would tell me that because we were done talking and he'd made his point that we were over it and we'd move on. And he would never bring it up again. To me, that's amazing. And amazingly effective.

Now I completely understand why they say that when girls are searching for their soul mates they look for their dad's qualities in that person. If you ever have my dad and Sean in the same room, you'll be amazed at how alike they are. They spend hours talking politics and they both are stubborn as can be. And I'm crazy about them both.

My parents definitely employed the 'never go to bed mad' theory. I can only remember one time, one time, growing up that I knew that they were in a fight. They have always showed each other unconditional love. My dad tells my mom he loves her all the time. They still hold hands. THAT is what I want in my own marriage.

So now that I've written a novel on my parents I'm sure you can see that I am blessed. I have incredible parents.

xoxo

Rachael

No comments:

Post a Comment